In the most uncertain of times, 100% of our 2019/20 Primary trainees completed the course this year.
There’s no more rewarding career than teaching. As a primary teacher, you’ll prepare children for life – academically and emotionally. You’ll encourage children to be curious about the world around them, inspiring a love of learning and empowering them to reach their full potential.
At Red Kite, we offer two school-based primary routes that give you the experience and confidence to begin teaching as soon as you are qualified. Our Primary School Direct and Primary SCITT courses are based in our partner schools across Leeds, Harrogate and Skipton.
On successful completion you will receive recommendation for Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) from Red Kite Teacher Training and a Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) from the University of Leeds.
Taking place in late June, our Early Induction day is a fantastic opportunity to get to know your fellow Trainees and to find out more about your forthcoming training year. Former Red Kite Trainees will be there to give you the benefit of their experience and advice, and you will receive the details of your first placement school, so you can get in touch with them before the course starts.
Our school placements take place in schools across Leeds, Harrogate and North Yorkshire. We currently have around 45 primary partner schools, and we carefully choose your placement schools based on your individual training needs, experience and location.
In addition to two main placement schools, you’ll also take part in five mini-placements, throughout the year, which will give you a unique opportunity to broaden your experience in National Priority areas such as Special Educational Needs, Phonics and P.E.
Red Kite Professional Development
When you’re not in a school placement, you’ll spend time in Red Kite Professional Development at one of our Hub Schools. Here, teachers from across the partnership will develop your subject knowledge and pedagogy so that you are confident to teach all subject areas, with a particular focus on Maths, English and Science. You will also develop the more generic aspects of the role of a teacher: behaviour management, assessment, pastoral care and working with pupils with SEND.
Support Throughout the Year
One of the benefits valued highly by our trainees is the huge amount of layered support we provide throughout the course:
- During your placements you’ll receive ongoing support from your class teachers, who have been selected by Red Kite for their inspirational teaching styles – there’s no doubt that you’ll be learning from the very best.
- You’ll also have a personal Red Kite Trainee Progress Leader who will be there to support you at each stage of the course. You’ll meet regularly at Red Kite Professional Development days; they’ll visit you in your placement schools and are always available by telephone and email to offer you support when you need it.
- You’ll have an in-school Mentor who will meet with you weekly to discuss your progress.
- A weekly individual email from Red Kite will let you know what’s coming up, keeping you on-track.
- During your three assignments, you’ll receive plenty of academic support from the University of Leeds.
University of Leeds
During your year-long course, you will spend eight days at the world-class School of Education at the University of Leeds. The sessions, led by leading educational researchers, will give you all the knowledge and support you need to develop an evidence-based approach to teaching, helping you to reflect on what works and why. With this knowledge, you will complete four Primary assignments leading to 60 Masters Level Credits.
Visit our How to Apply page to find out more about our entry criteria, how to apply and funding.
If you are ready to apply, you must apply for all of our courses via UCAS Teacher Training. Click HERE to start your application. Find us using UCAS code 2J6 for Primary School Direct or 2B9 for Primary SCITT.